Monday 4 October 2010

Magritte

Another genre I believe will yield some interesting finds is surrealism. In particular, I have been considering Magritte thanks to a chapter in Landscape In Western Art, by Malcolm Andrews where he considers the framing of a painting of a landscape. I was drawn to this idea of the artist already framing the work visually as well as practically.
I like the triple-bluff that Magritte calls when he paints a canvas, in front of a window and then the whole is framed. It is in a way the beginning of a kind of vortex where the end is never quite known.
I think sonically that would be a rather interesting concept. To try and discover a way for the sound to frame itself or in some way be enveloped by itself.
Magritte said of this "The simultaneous existence in two different spaces is like living simultaneously in the past and in the present, as in cases of deja vu".

No comments:

Post a Comment