Saturday 2 October 2010

Fauna

I was thinking today about the lack of fauna in much of the art I like. This is particularly true of human beings. I am attracted to spaces and places that relate to human design, their intervention and construction as well as those which flora has either repelled or embraced, or indeed those places of the extreme, such as deserts and vast oceans. Yet the absence of fauna seems to add to, rather than subtract from to the gravitas of the work for me.
Like the Romantics that precede me, the vastness, the sheer and unforgiving power of nature has me in its thrawl. But, in order for me to participate rather than to observe, I wish to distill this tempestuousness into a delicious, yet modest Englishness.
It is with this parochial ideal that I shall set about my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment