Sunday 17 April 2011

Out Of Place

I popped into Tate Modern yesterday to catch this before it ends. It slipped through the net and I nearly missed it.
It aroused my interest because of the place-specific nature of the work. The political and social issues dealt with. Well, on one level, yes, it was place related, but appeared as more of a series of documents rather than opportunities to look behind the image.
It made me think about the pieces I am trying to assemble at the moment and I wondered how interesting mine would be in a similar exhibition.
Duration is always a problem for sound pieces. The film being shown was quite an endurance piece from the perspective of the eyeball-shattering camera shake and very lo-fi sound. I managed about 12/15 minutes.
People spend so little time in exhibitions and even when a duration-based piece is installed, as with this show, when uncomfortable and inadequate seating is provided, that commitment is all the more taxing. One cannot expect people to stand for 50 minutes or sit on a wooden box, Tate.

No comments:

Post a Comment